My Dear Parishioners,
Next week we will welcome Fr. Tariq Issac to speak to us about the Missions in the Archdiocese of Lahore, Pakistan. Father will preach all the Masses next weekend and the second collection taken up next weekend will be to support the Archdiocese of Lahore, through the Pontifical Mission Society.
The Archbishop of Lahore submitted the following to help understand what is happening in his Archdiocese.
God Bless you, Fr. Bordonaro
The Archdiocese of Lahore is the largest Diocese in Pakistan. Total Catholics are 581,100 and that is about 35% of the total Catholics throughout the country. The Archdiocese was established in 1886 and was elevated to the status of Archdiocese in 1994. It is presently comprised of 29 Parishes. The parishes are widespread, each parish has 90 to 130 villages and Towns. Therefore, in order to reach people easily we have set up 8 to 9 sub-stations to cater to their spiritual needs.
The work and contribution of Lahore Archdiocese has always been very prominent and effective towards the Social and religious harmony. The Archdiocese is carrying out various projects for the betterment of our faithful. Some of these projects/activities are as follows:
- Youth Faith formation Ministry including: faith formation through Youcat and Docat, Career Guidance sessions, Capacity Building, Awareness of Cyber Security Laws.
- Catholic Women Organization: Catholic Women Organization is working actively throughout the Archdiocese in the fields of: Gender Equality, Awareness of Women’s rights, Women Health Surveys, forming and maintaining Catholic environment in the families.
- Catholic Board of Education: The mission of this board/commission is to facilitate all the Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of Lahore. It ensures a conducive environments are created and maintained in all schools so that students may gain a holistic education and formation; Faith formation and education for peaceful co-existence as priority. Most of our schools are in remote areas (Villages), Christians in these areas are very poor. They work on the farms of Muslim Land Lords. They are not able to pay the fee to educate their children. The diocese has hostels/Boarding Houses and schools for them. Therefore, we need financial help to support these students so that they may get quality education, stand on their own feet and live with dignity.
- Archdiocesan Catechetical Centre: The Catechetical Centre is to transmit Catholic Catechism to faithful through trainings sessions, seminars and some other activities as follows: Training programme for Catechism Teachers; Refresher Courses for Principals and teachers on Advent and Lenten Liturgy; Training Courses for Lectors and Altar Servers; Faith formation sessions and seminars for Christian Nurses; Publishing of Catechism books/or Schools; Catechism magazine for Kids (fortnightly); Translations of Church documents in local language
- Family Life Commission: Family Life Commission in the Archdiocese of Lahore is working to fulfill the spiritual needs and provide support to the families. It conducts the activities for families as: Helping couples to establish and maintain Catholic environment in their families; Helping couples to become faithful husband and wife; Helping couples to become responsible parents; Seminars on Natural Family Planning; Counseling sessions for Childless couples; Pre-marital counseling; Awareness seminars for married couples;
Yours in Christ,
+ Sebastian Francis Shaw OFM
Archbishop of Lahore